Friday, December 28, 2007

Yes, He Believes in Santa



Original Article

DEAR MARGO
My boyfriend, "Matt," and I have been together a little more than four years. We have a very strong relationship and have discussed marriage and children, but we both agree we should wait. Well, a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, Matt says, "I don't know why people stuff their Christmas stockings before Christmas. That's what Santa should do." My response was, "Well, maybe some people don't believe in Santa." He didn't say anything, but I could tell he was really bothered by this.
He has always been really into Christmas (me, not so much), but this hasn't been a problem for us in the past. My concern now is that I don't want our children to have a false belief in Santa. Is this something that should be a big concern, or should I leave it alone until we actually have children?
--- CONCERNED GRINCH

DEAR CONCERNED
You can't be telling me a grown man believes in Santa. (Can you?) It is one thing to play along with little kids that there's a Santa Claus, but quite another to be beyond the age of puberty and think this is so. Let us hope he is just, as you say, "really into Christmas."
Because you have a strong relationship, I would put off worrying about future children and Christmas until, as you say, you actually have the children. Also, I have it on good authority from some friends in grade school that the Santa story bites the dust at about the same time as the birds and the bees.
--- MARGO, REALISTICALLY
So reads a recent Dear Margo column. Interestingly enough, Margo is shocked that a grown man could believe in something so obviously imaginary. I, for one, can't think of any other example of mature, fully-cognizant humans believing an obvious myth... not a single instance.

Thought Exercise: Re-read the first two sentences of Margo's reply, but replace "Santa" with "Jesus"

No comments: